Masala chips was a child hood favorite for many Kenyans, try make it at home it you will not be disappointed.
- 8 large potatoes, peeled and sliced into “chips”
- oil for frying
- 2 tablespoons butter/margarine
- 1 tablespoon Spanish paprika
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper ( or red chilli powder) – you can use more or less depending on preference
- 1 teaspoon of garlic paste
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- small bunch of coriander
- salt to taste
- some water (optional)
- lemon (I did not use this because I had none)
1. Heat the oil in a pan and when hot put in the potatoes and cook till they are soft, remove from the oil, drain and let cool for about 5 mins
2. Reheat the oil and put back the chips to cook through. This makes them crispier (works with any food your deep frying)
3. As the chips are cooking for the second time place the butter/margarine into a larger pan and melt it. Once it has melted switch off the heat.
4. Add all the other ingredients (except from the water and coriander) into the melted butter/margarine and mix well.
5. Turn on the heat and cook till the sauce thickens
6. You can add the water if you like your chips saucy if not do not add the water.
7. Once the chips are cooked place in a kitchen towel to drain excess oil then toss them into the sauce and mix until well combined.
8. Turn off the heat, squeeze in the lemon and add the coriander
9. Serve hot. HAPPY EATING!